The Donna Ross Memorial Regatta is back! Please join us for the 3rd Annual Donna Ross Memorial Regatta on Lake Ray Hubbard, and help raise awareness for mental health!
Please join us for exciting an exciting regatta series on Lake Ray Hubbard to raise awareness for mental health! There will be several races on Saturday, September 10th, 2016, which will continue on Sunday, September 11th, 2016, each followed by after-parties and an awards ceremony on Sunday.
We are excited to announce that after a brief hiatus (as Rick is now in his last year of his emergency medicine residency at Harvard’s residency program in Boston) we are bringing back the Donna Ross Memorial Regatta and look forward to it continuing to be a wonderful weekend of racing on the lake for an important cause!
We are organizing this regatta, in conjunction with the Donna Ross Memorial Regatta Committee comprised of members of Chandler’s Landing Yacht Club, to honour my mom, Donna Ross, who died unexpectedly in February of 2011. While not the cause of her death, she struggled with mental illness for most of her adult life and it was a major factor in the quality of her life and had a great impact on her friends and family. I believe that one of the major challenges that affected my mother and those close to her, was the secrecy in which she felt she must live regarding her mental illness. Nevertheless, she was brave and steadfast in seeking medical help and provided an excellent and caring home for her children and husband!
In her honour, we are embarking to raise awareness of mental illness so that those affected and those close to those affected may live openly and without shame about their disease. It is our hope that this will help individuals seek treatment earlier, and will help foster an environment of support that will profoundly improve these individuals’ lives!
Please join us in this goal by “Racing to Raise Mental Health Awareness” in a series of PHRF races on Lake Ray Hubbard on Saturday, September 10th and Sunday, September 11th! These will be exciting races! The races will be followed by a post-party on Saturday, and a post-party and awards ceremony on Sunday, details to be announced. A pre-race fundraising party will be held on Friday, September 9th, which will be a great time to share stories and libations!
All proceeds of this event will go to the Mental Health Association of Greater Dallas (www.mhadallas.org) to help raise awareness of mental illness in our local community!
– Join us for 2 days of racing to honour Donna Ross and to raise awareness for mental health, with all proceeds benefiting MHA of Greater Dallas, which serves local Dallas communities including Rockwall.
– September 9th, pre-race fundraising event hosted by Dan and Cindy Malak. Please contact [email protected] for invitation details to this exciting communal fundraising event with sailors and friends of the Donna Ross Memorial Regatta!
– September 10th, a day of PHRF races on Lake Ray Hubbard. After-party to follow. The first race will start at 11am. Please see donnaross.org for party information.
– September 11th, racing continues with an additional PHRF race, starting at 10am, to be followed by awards ceremony and party at approximately 1:30pm. Please see donnaross.org for party information
- The Skippers meeting will be held at 10am on Saturday, September 10th, on the Promenade behind Allure Restaurant, near J dock.
- 2016 Sailing Instructions will be available 1 week prior to the race on this website.
- Please contact Chandler’s Landing Marina @ 972-772-8866 or Dan Malak – [email protected] for free overnight slips (Friday-Sunday). Slips for the after parties are available at The Harbor docks.
Registration is underway (below)